Sunday, October 25, 2009

Portrait of author Laurie Kellor

Last Friday I went to Samantha's school to take some pictures of a visiting author. The school is always on the lookout for parents to take pictures for the yearbook and so I volunteered to help out.

Laurie Keller is a children's author and illustrator. She spent an hour with the entire 4th grade class and tolerated me like a champ.


I imagine that I probably behave a little differently than the other parents who volunteer to take pictures since I show up with my entire gear bag and take pictures like it's a job. (I don't suspect that the other parents walk around with two camera's around their necks!) One of the great things about photography is that you can create something special from any circumstance if you just look for the shot. Once I have the camera in my hand I immediately start to scan for something creative... just the right angle or light... that will make for a good picture. (My wife sometimes won't let me take my camera unless I promise to "take pictures like a Dad, not a photographer." :) )


I mentioned that I brought my entire gear bag with me. I prefer to keep all my gear together all the time. I have a small bag that I sometimes will pack with just a few things if I will be moving around a lot (like Disney World) but otherwise I just take the whole bag. I like knowing that I have everything I could possibly need with me. There's also the peace-of-mind that comes with never having to worry that you left some vital piece of gear in another bag.


After Laurie's presentation I asked her if she would mind sitting for a quick portrait. I couldn't resist the chance to photograph an author in a library. She was a great sport about it and we got a great picture.




You can see more of my photography on my website.