Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Beach wedding prop pays off....

You would be surprised at how many little things you have to take pictures of at a wedding.  There's the rings, the invitations, the seating cards, the table center-pieces, the flowers and so on and so on.  I'm always on the lookout for a new way to shoot one of these shots.  There are a lot of "standard" shots that most every photographer uses and it's always nice if you can come up with something that's a little more unique.

While we are on that subject, there are a few shots I won't do simply because everyone else does them.  Most notably is the "Bride and Groom's hand overlapping and resting on the bouquet" shot (the BAGHOROTB.)  I'll shoot it if I'm asked to... I'm not snotty about it or anything... I just don't shoot it of my own free will.  I don't like it and it's just an old shot.  Of course, if you like it, that's cool with me.  Everyone has their own opinion.  (is that enough backpedaling?)

Anyway, back to the point of this post...



Bobbi has started a new company.  She's basically become a complete beach wedding planner for Clearwater, St. Pete, Treasure Island, Sand Key and so on.  She has bought a few props that she thinks are great and wants me to use them when photographing her weddings.  Bobbi is all about distressed country and the props reflect her style.  I may be a great photographer (I may not be... you decide) but Bobbi has great design sense.

Also, she is responsible for all frog removal on the property because I refuse to touch a frog. (I handle the snakes).

A couple of weeks ago I took some of her props to a wedding I was shooting at Hunter's Green Country Club.  Skylar and Heath are a great couple and I knew that the setting would work great for the new props.  I was very pleased with the "Mr. and Mrs." sign and Skylar and Heath loved it to.  What I was surprised by was how much I loved the ring plaque.

Basically, it's just a small board with "Love" painted on it and a distressed style.  I took it just to get a shot for Bobbi but ended up loving the shot more than the other two ring shots I took that day (although the shot of the rings on a pool table with the wedding date spelled out on pool balls was creative, thanks to my assistant, Jodi..)

Now I'm thinking about packing it along on a few more weddings.  Of course, I'll use it for all of Bobbi's beach weddings.

See all my Tampa wedding photography at www.boorayperry.com.