Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Ritz, Ybor and a Canon 5d mkII

Yesterday I was at The Ritz in Ybor for an open house.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I was invited.  Is it a bridal show?  A showcase for the venue?  It's actually a little of both.  They put bands on-stage in three rooms doing 20 minute sets all night.  If you're looking for a band, it's a great chance to audition a bunch of different people in one night.  They also invite some vendors, and that's where I came in.

A couple of months ago I met Okie at a luncheon.  He works for The Ritz and I told him that I was shooting a Bat Mitzvah there in February.  I also mentioned the new portrait stations that we were doing and he asked me to come set one up at the open house.  Everybody that came by our table got a free 4x6 printed right there.  It was quite popular and we met a lot of really nice people. 


My friend Vicky from Anglo Couture was there and she had a model dressed in one of her gowns.  Crystal was very sweet and so I asked if I could take her out to the street for a few shots at the end of the night.  Although I never let an opportunity to photograph a beautiful woman pass me by, I had even more motivation last night.  Just before I packed up to go to the event, my new Canon 5d Mk II arrived.

I was anxious to start using it so I walked the venue a few times and did some action shots to test the high ISO capabilities of the camera.  I gotta say that everything I have read is true:  the noise reduction is just outstanding. The shot below was done at ISO 6400.  For a guy who spends most of his life at 1600, suddenly having 2 full stops to play with is a thrill.


Anyway, back to the beautiful Crystal.  We went out in front of The Ritz with my new camera and an off-camera light.  I shot for about 15 minutes and got some really nice images.  Of course, it's not too difficult when you have a model in a wedding gown at a location like Ybor.  :)


It was a good time.  I met some really nice people and heard some really good bands.

Tampa wedding photography by Booray Perry at http://www.boorayperry.com/