Thursday, January 22, 2009

If I can make myself look this good, imagine what I can do for you...

For more of my family and wedding photography here in Tampa Bay, visit my website.

Last night I was working in the studio on some ideas for my daughter's upcoming birthday party. Basically, I was trying to decide what to do with the background color since I will be taking pictures of a dozen 5-year-olds in princess dresses (it's gonna be a hoot).

After shooting a few self-portraits I got the idea to do a magazine re-touch on myself. Whenever I do a boudoir session, I do a magazine re-touch, which means I make you look like you should be on the cover of a magazine. The problem with this feature is that I don't really have many before/after examples I can show because I won't show a past clients boudoir pictures to anyone under any circumstances (naturally). So, I've decided to do a re-touch on the worst face I can find: mine!


Pretty scary, I know. As you can see in the re-touched version below, I cleaned up the blemishes, smoothed the wrinkles, removed a catch-light from the eyes and fixed the color a little. If you look closely, you can also see where I raised the bottom lid of my right eye just a tad. My right eye is wider than my left and so I corrected it a little but not so much that it would be obvious. Now I don't look so bad!


By the way, as you can see I was working with a blue background when shooting this portrait. However, the background isn't actually blue, it's being lit with a blue light. Wanna guess what color the background is when the light is off?