Monday, May 10, 2010

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

I shot a recent wedding and encountered two things I'd never seen before.

1.  Cupcakes instead of wedding cake.

2.  Groomsmen dressed as Darth Vader.

The cupcake thing was pretty cool, actually.  The bride had built a tiered stand so that there was a huge pyramid of cupcakes topped off with custom "bride and groom" cupcakes that featured strawberries decorated like wedding attire.  It was fun to have a new challenge that was different then the regular challenge of shooting the cake.

The Darth Vader thing caught me completely by surprise.  When the bride and groom exit the church, I go with them because I often get some great shots of the two of them together in the few seconds before they are mobbed by family and friends.

I noticed as we were exiting that they were playing a Star Wars song.  I thought it was pretty funny but it wasn't until the wedding party joined us in the back room that I really got the joke.  The groomsmen had hidden Darth Vader masks underneath the Unity Candle table and quickly put them on for the walk-off.

When the Darth Vader Groomsmen entered the back room where the bride and groom were waiting, the bride said, "Who's idea was this and why didn't someone tell Booray!"

Luckily, I had my assistant Jodi with me that day and she was camped out in the balcony with her camera.  She got shots of the Sith Lords as they exited the church.

May the force be with you...

View my work at www.boorayperry.com