Monday, July 25, 2011

Once again, I'm proved wrong...

At last month's TAPPA meeting (Tampa Area Professional Photographers Association) I decided to test a theory of mine regarding the print competition.

You see, it's my belief that I'm just not the sort of photographer who wins contests.  Not that my work isn't good, it's just that I don't feel that my style is what the typical contest is looking for.  It seems like contest winners are always perfect composition, perfect light, etc (as they should be, I guess) and I've always believed that some of the best images can be candid and unique.

So, I grabbed the image of mine that more people mention than any other image I have ever shot:



... and I entered it in the monthly competition.  My point being:  Everyone loves this picture but that doesn't mean it can win.  It's too much like a snapshot, it's not artistic enough... "fancy"...

Well, you probably guessed where this is going.  It won 1st place in the "Event" category.

Now, I don't know what to think.  I'm still not convinced that it could be a merited print.  Merited prints are picked by certified judges and those guys are tough.  I'm going to make it a point to ask some of the other photographers what they think.  I love this image and I think that it's a fine example of my work but that doesn't mean that it fits into the "mold" of a merited print.

I also entered a print in the "portrait" category and won 2nd place:



I'm a little more leery of "Portrait" than "Event" because there are always more entries in that category.  Plus, you are competing against photographers who shoot primarily portraits and often in-studio.  Portraits are what they do best so they produce some incredible work.  I was very happy to place in the category.

I guess this all goes to show that despite what I think, anything can happen.  :)