Monday, March 22, 2010

Choosing a print to enter in PPA competition

Next month is the 'Main Event" so to speak, for members of the Professional Photographers of America (PPA).  It's the annual print competition.

Each member can submit four images in two categories (8 total).  The categories are "Open Images" which is pretty much anything and "Electronic Images" which is for images that are judged for the photoshop skills involved.

The big question is how do you pick out four images to enter?  The entries can be pretty much anything you have shot.  How do you pick four? (or eight if entering both categories)

The other big question is whether to enter at all.  The problem I have with most print competitions is that there's usually an entry fee.  In this case it's $95.  5000 people paying $95 (more if you aren't a member) and no monetary or physical prize.  Nice gig they have going there.

So, the jury is still out on whether or not I will enter this year.  I do think that if I decide to enter, the picture with this post will be one of my four choices.  It was shot just last week at Sunken Gardens in St. Petersburg for a Bat Mitzvah Guest Book.  I think the composition is good, the exposure is right and the lighting is perfect. Keep in mind that her face is in shade because of the hat.  Her face is actually lit by a flash with a shoot-thru umbrella and a 1/4 CTO gel to camera left.

It may not be dynamic or exciting but I can't take my eyes off it.  That's enough for me. :)

See more of my Tampa and St. Petersburg Bat Mitzvah photography on my website.