Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The sarcasm gene is alive and well in my offspring

Yesterday, Bobbi made chicken salad from a roast chicken that she bought at Publix.  Homemade chicken salad is one of the best "homemade" things in the world.  You can talk about your "apple pie" all day my friend but it doesn't compare to chicken salad.  Don't get me wrong, I'm an apple pie man through and through but I've had great apple pie in restaurants and out of the box.  Hell, even McDonalds had a killer pie until they ruined it by actually baking it .  However, I have never had a chicken salad that's as good as one made at home, from scratch.  Don't even get me started on the packaged Publix Deli Chicken Salad.  It has celery in it for God's sake. Celery?  What's wrong with you people?

For you youngsters in the audience, McDonalds Apple Pie used to be deep fried, just like the french fries.  They were crispy and hot and delicious and the day that McDonald's stop cooking their pies in a hot oil was a sad day for lovers of all things fried.


Anyway, the salad produced a wishbone, which Bobbi left on the counter.  Tonight at dinner, Sam asked me what it was for so I explained how a wishbone works with the pulling and the breaking and the wishing, etc.  This is one of the great things about being a parent.  You never imagine that you will have to explain how a wishbone works and then you have kids and you find yourself explaining stuff that you take for granted every day.

So, we made a wish and we pulled.  I won.

Now, let me back up a minute and explain that shortly before this little fowl tug-of-war, Sam had been complaining and pouting about dinner.  Daddy doesn't like it when you complain about his cooking.  Makes Daddy moody.

Sam asked me what I wished for.  I said, "I can't tell you that or it won't come true."

"C'mon," she said.

"Well, I guess I could tell you because it's not going to come true anyway."

"How do you know?"

"I just know."

"Just tell me,"

"Okay, I wished that you would stop complaining so much."

She laughed, "Yea, that's not gonna happen."